Saturday 17 June 2017

Not So Mini Review: Eat Pray Love (2010) #badmovies

Eat Pray Love
2010
Genre: Romantic Drama




Nauseating and, dare I add also, despicable film into how running away from your problems, instead of confronting them, and whilst hurting people along the way, makes it seem like it is a morally acceptable thing to do. Liz talks the talk, harping on and on about self-worth and finding and loving yourself - only to dump and leave her husband, jump into bed with a younger guy, ditch him, go on a globe-trotting trip and fall in love with another guy. Yeah, some 'role model' this woman is. 

If this film didn't kill Julia Roberts's movie career, then maybe, perhaps it should or ought to have. Eat Pray Love offended me on every single level and I still, for the life of me, can't get my head around why Julia Roberts, who is used to playing likeable characters, chose to play this role. It reeks of trashy. It paints her in a very negative light and makes other people question her movie choices, regardless of how talented she is. 

Liz is a terrible role model, based on the real Liz Gilbert, and her actions & insufferable 'me, me, me' attitude border on desperation, self-pity and narcissism. The longer the film went on, the more intolerable it became. I felt sick. This terrible film wants me, or us to sympathise with and go along with this 'protagonist' and the actions of her sleeping with one guy, dump him and fall for the next guy (which is crazy), but how could I when all I could feel is anger, disgust and sheer bewilderment? If this lead character was a man doing these things towards the women he met along the way, he'd get called out and criticised.

Julia, in my opinion, made a grave error to be a part of this movie - just look at the reviews and comments on Letterboxd, IMDb and on Amazon.com: around 90-95% of those reviews are negative. And they are not from critics, and some of them are fans of Julia's. That tells you something about how poorly received Eat Pray Love is. And deserves to be. It was unpleasant all the way through. This was a dumpster fire.

Eat until you are full, pray that this film will end sooner and love it when it does finish. 

I end up going back to rewatching Steel Magnolias, Erin Brockovich, America's Sweethearts, Hook, The Pelican Brief just to rid myself of the stench this film has given off. Those were the good times for Julia Roberts - whereas this film ain't. She's had a couple of stinkers, and this is undeniably one of them.

Worst Julia Roberts movie, ever. Without hesitation for me that is.


Is It Worth Seeing?

Not for me. Seeing sweet good gal Julia play a selfish and obnoxious character just doesn't wash with me, one bit. And one I won't ever buy into. This is rotten to the core and one I found disgusting.


Overall:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...